Congratulations, you're almost a teenager! That means you're on the road to taking care of your own smile. Cavities aren’t just for little kids—you can get them at any age. When you consume sugary foods, soda, juice and energy drinks, you put yourself at risk for tooth decay and gum disease. Be smart. Always brush your teeth twice a day for two minutes and floss once a day.
The bottom line for smiles that are healthy on the inside and out:
To learn more, visit our other Preteens pages on MouthHealthy Kids:
- Always brush your teeth twice a day with fluoride toothpaste for two minutes.
- Floss between your teeth daily.
- Avoid sugary and starchy snacks such as soda, potato chips, and candy.
- Wear a mouthguard when you’re playing sports or other recreational activities.
- Stay away from tobacco. Cigarettes, cigars and chewing tobacco all increase your risk for tobacco-related health problems. They also give you bad breath!
- Don’t pierce your lips or any part of your mouth since you could crack a tooth or worse if part of the jewelry breaks off in your mouth.
- See your dentist. Regular dental visits will help set you up to be Mouth Healthy for Life.